THE CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS IS NOW CLOSED
We invite teachers, activists, students and scholars to submit proposals for presentations, posters or workshops relating to our Symposium themes.
Submission deadline: March 30, 2018
Notification of acceptance: April 9, 2018
- Research (Day 1: Thursday June 7)
- Instructional skills (Day 2: Friday June 8)
- Community (Day 3: Saturday June 9)
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Culture-based education
- Language revitalization/reclamation/maintenance
- Immersion schools, Mentor-Apprentice Programs and other paths to fluency
- Community organizing/fund development/activism/program planning
- Research/assessment/best practices
- Technology/audio-visual language maintenance & revitalization techniques
- Other Indigenous language education topics
- Elder, speaker, teacher and student outreach and recruitment
Types of presentations:
- Workshop (45 or 90 minutes): Hands-on session in which participants learn and practice specific skills such as language teaching or testing techniques, culturally based language education strategies. Presenters are encouraged to use handouts and audio-visual aids and share their own curriculum and teaching materials. We welcome proposals for multi-presenter workshops, which may be assigned longer time slots if needed.
- Presentation (30 minutes): A description, demonstration and/or discussion of something the presenter(s) is doing or has done related to Indigenous language education. Presenters are encouraged to use handouts and audio-visual aids.
- Poster (2 hour joint session): Similar to a presentation, but instead of an oral presentation the presenter prepares a poster which attendees can view and discuss during a specific time slot. This format is especially suitable for student presenters and for work-in-progress. The poster session will be held on Thursday June 7 at the end of the day during the welcome reception.
- Panel discussion (45 or 90 minutes): Panel discussions provide a forum for a group to discuss general issues related to indigenous education and to share ideas and opinions in a more informal format.
Please fill in either the Word or PDF version of the proposal form with your contact information and send it to email@example.com by March 30.
We look forward to reading your proposals! For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +1-403-380-1809 (Inge Genee; University of Lethbridge) or +1-877-965-3910 (Lisa Crowshoe or Joslin Smith; Peigan Board of Education)